This is a short one. A gripe about a few of the more annoying things when searching the WordPress plugin repository…
- The search is truly pathetic. I’ve commented on my lack of enthusiasm for anything Automattic does beyond WordPress before and how they seem to love doing things half-assed, but you would think they could get it together enough to make the repository a useful resource, ya no?
- Screenshots are resized (poorly) to fit in their fixed-width layout and no full-size examples exist.
- bbpress is functionally challenged at best, but the integration into the repository is abysmal and rarely returns all the related topics to a given plugin
- On the subject of WordPress/plugin compatibility… You’ve got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well do you, punk? …seriously.
The solutions are simple enough…
- Implement a more advanced method of search. Inclusions, occlusions, per field search operators — you know, thinks we would search by. Here’s a novel idea, allow me to list the plugins that are computable with WordPress 2.6 only (see #4).
- Include a link to each full-size image if it was resized. Better yet, use a lightbox. Problem solved.
- Create a new forum category for each plugin. Link to aforementioned category from plugin page. Better yet, list the discussion topics in their own tab on plugin page. Common sense. Imagine that.
- Rhetorical question: Why is it WordPress.org can’t cross reference the hooks that it has altered in subsequent updates with those found in the files of a plugin and tell you how if an old plugin is still compatible? Answer: Laziness. There’s nothing technically difficult about it, it’s just time consuming.
A major problem I have is that they spend time on things like displaying the stats when there are these nagging issues that have gone unchecked for so long. Do you care how many times per day a plugin has been downloaded more than it’s compatibility with your version of WordPress? I think not.
Hell, I’d be willing to take on the project myself if one or two people wanted to join me. Any takers?